Direct Foodstore: Toad In The Hole - Recipe & Method
225g Marriage's Plain Flour
3 Copper Maran eggs
300ml Direct Foodstore Milk
20ml Duchess Rapeseed oil
8 Dingley Dell Cumberland sausages
- For the batter, whisk together eggs & milk, then add flour, salt & pepper & whisk. Consistency should be similar to double cream, add a little extra milk or water if needed.
- Strain through a sieve & refrigerate for about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Put a roasting tray (about 30x20x6cm/12x8x2½in) into the preheated oven.
- Once really hot, add the rapeseed oil and the sausages. Brown the sausages in the hot oven, turning now and again until coloured on all sides (they don’t need to be cooked through).
- Pour the rested batter into the hot tin over the browned sausages.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 30–35 minutes, or until the batter is risen and golden-brown all over.
- Serve with an onion gravy & your favourite vegetables.