Our Story: Provenance with Passion
In May 1995 Direct Meats Ltd was founded by third generation local farmer Martin Blackwell. Coming from a large farming family in North Essex, with a passion for quality meat Martin recognised a gap in the market for a specialist meat provider.
We have grown from a small wholesale butcher with a handful of staff to a business that employs 120 full time staff, delivers an average of 2,500 orders per week
Our Selection Process; Our Farming Partners:
All our private labelled farmer producers share the same ethos:
- Produced for taste not commodity
- High welfare standards
- Sustainability projects on farm
By paying these small farms a premium for their produce allows them to continue to invest in farming practices that improve taste and welfare.
We actively promote these farms including regular farm tours, visits to customers with the farmers; where they share their knowledge and passion for what they produce as well as regular site tours at Direct Meats including butchery demonstrations
Reputation built on quality; Restaurants & Catering
We are proud to include many well known chefs amongst out clientele.
- Gordon Ramsey
- Jamie Oliver International
- Raymond Blanc
We also have established strong working relationships with brands such as Sodexo, The Duck and Waffle Group, Hyatt and The Dorchester.
We believe our growth can be attributed to our core values of selling premium products, providing fantastic service and the ability to adapt to our customer’s needs.
Corporate Social Responsibility
- We are committed to an 18 month leadership training programme with our local training institute
- Regular farm tours for both staff and customers
- All our delivery vans are Euro 6 Engines
- We have a biomass boiler powering hot water and heating which uses sustainable fuels.
- Recycling on site
- Daf system which handles waste water
- Charcuterie plant is powered by the biomass burner
- Steam powered oven to be commissioned November 2019
- 8 acres planted with 1000 trees to encourage birds to feed and wildlife to flourish